Microsoft System Center 2012 Configuration Manager has a support and servicing lifecycle during which we provide new features, software updates, security fixes, etc. This lifecycle lasts for a minimum of 10 years from the date of the product’s initial release. The end of the lifecycle is known as the product’s end of support.
On July 12, 2022, the following products will reach end of support.
- System Center 2012 Configuration Manager (ConfigMgr 2012)
- System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager (ConfigMgr 2012 R2)
- System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection (SCEP 2012)
- System Center 2012 R2 Endpoint Protection (SCEP 2012 R2)
End of support for the following platforms was previously announced:
- System Center Endpoint Protection for Mac and Linux (EOS 12/31/2018)
- System Center Configuration Manager client for Linux and UNIX (EOS 3/27/2019)
We recommend that you upgrade your Configuration Manager 2012 and Endpoint Protection 2012 infrastructure as soon as possible to the latest version of Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager.
What does end of support mean?
Although ConfigMgr 2012 and SCEP 2012 will continue to function after July 12, 2022, Microsoft will no longer provide:
- Technical support for problems that may occur.
- Security updates or fixes.
- Microsoft plans to discontinue definition, engine, and platform updates for SCEP 2012 once the end of support is reached. This discontinuation may occur without any notice.
What should I do to prepare?
To prepare for end of support, we recommend that you do the following:
- Understand what has changed between ConfigMgr 2012 and Configuration Manager (current branch).
- Review the deprecated and removed items for Configuration Manager
- Review the in-place upgrade guidance and plan your Configuration Manager upgrade.
What else should I consider?
- Windows 7, Windows Server 2008/2008 R2 reached end of support in 2020. ConfigMgr 2012 does not support the ESU Program.
- SQL Server 2012 reaches end of support in 2022.
- Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012/2012 R2 reach end of support in 2023.